Monday, August 27, 2012

MAD minerals swatches: multi-use colors


Finding packages in the mail is pretty exciting, even more so when you're expecting it to take up to 4 weeks and it arrives within 6 days! I placed a second order at MAD Minerals a few weeks ago because I was running out of foundation and decided to order a few eyeshadows while I was at it. I also received some samples of the finishing powders, but I will swatch and review those another time. Today I have some multi-use colors to show you!

I ordered 3 petite sized multi use colors, as well as 3 samples (I ordered one in a jar and the others in sample baggies). The petite jars contain 3/4 teaspoon, and I think it's a great way of trying new colors without spending too much on them. The petite jars normally cost $4,50, but since they're having a sale they only cost $3,15 now.

My order was packed in a bubble wrap envelope, the jars tucked safely inside zip-lock bags and then nicely wrapped in blue paper. I don't remember which ones, but some jars were sealed with a plastic wrapping, and some weren't. For some reason the Whispers came without a sifter. I don't really care for sifters, but I can imagine some people liking a bit more consistency in the packaging. The jars close well, that's what matters the most to me! On the bottom of the jars there is a sticker stating the color and ingredients.

I took some pics of the jars while I was swatching (sorry for the fingerprints :)

Cornerstone

Coffee

Whisper Gold

Whisper Copper

Cornerstone: Creamy beige with gray tones. I would call this a cool light taupe. It's matte and perfect for subtly defining the crease on pale skin.

Coffee: Deep brown matte, a perfect eyeliner shade! I couldn't agree more! This shade is very pigmented and easy to work with. I apply it wet as a liner like I did in this look , but it's great for making a dark smokey eye too.

Choc Mint: a duochrome with a warm shimmery brown base and green shifts.

Whisper Gold:  A perfect light golden highlight shade. It's very shiny with ultra fine sparkle particles.

Whisper Copper: an orangy pink toned highlight shade. Compared to whisper gold this is less sparkly.

Whisper Opal: Vibrant light violet.

Swatch time! 

I was struggling with either having too little light, or the sunlight being too harsh. I edited these to make the swatches as true to life as possible, although my skintone tends to look funky compared to the swatches now..





I actually like all of them a lot!

I haven't had much time for elaborate make-up looks in the morning the past few weeks, so I've been using Coffee as a liner shade nearly daily, and the Whispers make an awesome inner corner highlighter to look a little less tired :) I'm definitely going to repurchase Choc Mint In a bigger size with my next order. A warm duochrome like this is such a flattering way to wear green on blue eyes.

What do you think about these colors?
Have you ordered from MAD Minerals before?


Silke

2 comments:

  1. I'd definitely like to see Coffee used as an eyeliner, it's a gorgeous colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used it in a look before but I forgot to mention it. I updated it in the description! Because I have hooded eyelids I can't pull off a big wing though, so it's a subtle liner :)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! :) Please be respectful and don't leave spam or blog links. You're always welcome to send me an e-mail or tweet!